separator/seperator Re: About XHTML 2.0

Le 05-05-21 à 09:13, Anne van Kesteren a écrit :
>>> Dropping it would work too. I still haven't seen any use cases that
>>>  require this particular empty construct.
>>>
>> Is there a nice CSS idiom for styling a <span/> or <div/> in an
>> HR-ish way?
>>

> Styling should never be considered a usecase for a semantic element.
>
> However, I think you can use 'border' or perhaps '::after' in
> combination with a line/three-dots/etc.-graphic.

+1. I don't really see the need for a separator either and CSS can be
used for the rendering part of a line, but I'm not necessary trusting
my impressions. I have looked in a Manual of Typography “Le Ramat de
la Typo” (ISBN:2-922366-02-2) and there's no mention of such things.

I wonder if the element "hr" has been created to replace the old
semantics of the element "p" which was at first created to separate
two paragraphs more than nesting them.

For the spelling, it has been fixed in the Member draft, the element
is called "separator".

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***