Re: Question about web spiders...

Peter Kupfer wrote:
> [snip]
> Questions:
>
> 1) Is there another way to accomplish what I am trying to accomplish?
> 2) Does the W3C plan to implement the <nofollow> tag or anything like it
> in the near future?
>
> I want to be standards compliant, but I also want to be able to tell a
> spider where it can and can not go.

I'm not sure about your specific spider, but the commonly accepted way
to do what you describe is something like:

That's perfectly standards compliant, and Googlebot obeys that, as well
as several other major spiders AFAIK.

As I said, I can't speak for your specific spider. You could ask them to
implement it if they don't, it wouldn't be hard if they already
implement <nofollow>.

Jasper