Re: XML tags are just a cheap rip-off of PHP tags

dagobah1@optonline.net wrote:

> PHP has been around long before you started working on XML, so don't
> denie you stold their tags.
>
> <? ...... ?>  Couldn't you come up with something else?
>
> If a page ends in .php there is absoluty NO WAY to decleare XML with
> your little
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> tag.
>
> Don't you realize that by doing this, you screwed yourself.  Because
> very few people will use that tag, and thus its death will come
> quick.  The only pages that can use that tag are pages that end in
> .html or .asp which are the second and their most common extensions.
> .php is quickly becomming number one in the extension that people use
> for their sites.
>
> Now don't brush me off like you did once before when I brought this
> up.  You people really need to realize that you aren't the smartest
> people on Earth, and your word isn't law, and you aren't God.
>
> P.S. I don't want that moron spartanicus (spartanicus.3@ntlworld.ie)
> to comment, he doesn't know anything.  He's just a little sissy punk
> whom can talk big but can't back anything up.

I don’t think it is as much a matter of stealing as that they just had
to pick a delimiter character - had they used e.g. % instead of ?, the
ASP and JSP folks would perhaps not have liked that.

 From experience I can tell though that it really is hardly an issue,
because of the mentioned reasons; PHP nowadays works with <?php ?> as
delimiters, and you can also echo the XML prolog or leave it out entirely.

But... are you serious? Come on...

~Grauw

p.s. did you know that because PHP uses the XML processing instruction
syntax to delimit its code blocks (or if you wish, the other way
around), it is supported in the NVU HTML editor? JSP and ASP’s <% %> are
not supported because they don’t use XML syntax. So the way I see it,
it’s an advantage :).