Re: [XHTML2] How are UAs to interpret <h> and <hx> elements?

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> I'd rather the rules be the same for both body and section.  If we
> allow multiple h elements in the body, then we should do so for section.

I agree.

>> 2. require h elements to be nested in a section and to have only one
>> h element per section,
>
> If that's the case, should <h> be required to be the first child of
> <section>?  If it's not the first child, is it still the heading for
> any content before it?  If so, how do we then handle cases where
> authors insert multiple headings?  How do we handle subtitles?  eg.
>
> <section>
>   <h id="logo" src="...">The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)</h>
>   <h id="slogan">Leading the Web to Its Full Potential...</h>
> </section>

I don’t know whether that particular second heading would be a good
example, but indeed, you have valid points here.

> Lastly,
> 4. Define the top level heading to be body>h, if present, or
> body>section>h otherwise.

That would at least be difficult to express in CSS, which is an
important technology with which XHTML 2 has to be used, and which can
not be adapted to express this either.

I think just allowing multiple h elements in both body and section is
probably the best general solution, but that still doesn’t ‘really’
solve the body case though.

~Grauw