Re: [XHTML2] How are UAs to interpret <h> and <hx> elements?

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Is it really a good idea to mandate one heading per section?  Consider
> the following example:

>   <h>Heading 1</h>
>
>   <h>Heading 2</h>
>
> The only valid alternative would be to include an additional section
> element around each section, leaving no heading as a direct child of
> body.  eg.

>   <section>
>     <h>Heading 1</h>
>   </section>
>   <section>
>     <h>Heading 2</h>
>   </section>

That is an interesting case which I have so far avoided by just not
using more than one level-1 heading in a document. But obviously this
doesn’t do. In the second case, all headings would be second-level
headings from both a semantics as a styling point of view, so that
doesn’t really work.

I see three solutions:
1. just let there be multiple h elements in a section for the body case
(but recommend separate sections for the rest),
2. require h elements to be nested in a section and to have only one h
element per section,
3. or, taking it a little further, replace body entirely by section, or
something like that. Which is better than allowing two body elements to
be present, because for one that doesn’t make sense, a document has only
one body and the separate sections don’t belong to entirely separate
‘bodies’ of the document, and secondly you want a section to be called a
section and not anything else (for different kinds of sections, we have
@role after all).

~Grauw