Re: separator abuse

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 01:56:55 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org
CC: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>

Orion Adrian:
> On 6/7/05, Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
>> I was thinking about an audio book, which (sometimes) do have
>> background/ambient sounds.
>
> There are other organization methods that will be used and can be used.

Different solutions for the same problem, dpending on media? I don't
think so.

> There are quite a few things that don't follow standard technical
> writing organization. Authors often feel that they have the right to
> use structure as art.

Something you don't have to encourage (or even take into account) in the
design of a general purpose mark-up language.

> I'd rather not have to specify all my separators as
> just because you don't like empty elements.

I'm for enclosing the blocks that are to be separated, not for any
simulation of 'hr' at all, but if /you/ wanted to make one, you
certainly shouldn't be using 'span'.

> I do not agree with the assesment that separator is structural.

Okay, then it doesn't need to be included into a structural mark-up
language.

	Christoph Päper