RE: DC in XHTML2

At 3:01 PM +0100 6/9/05, Mark Birbeck wrote:
>Al,
>
>>From XHTML 2's standpoint, all you need is the URI for your roles. If that's
>backed up with some RDFS/OWL statements that tell you more about it, that's
>a great bonus, and it's a consequence of XHTML 2 getting it's relationship
>to RDF sorted out. But it is still external to XHTML 2.
>
>Misha and the IPTC's interest though is in putting subject codes in the form
>of QNames into the object part of the statement, not the predicate part.

That is not how I read the question. As I read the question, that is
not what they want to do; rather that is *where they found a
roadblock in the path to a solution that they were going down.* I
don't think you did the "if that's not the answer, what's the
question?" step to back off to the real requirement.

What I believe they want is a compact notation by which they can
associate content blocks with well-known (much re-used) subject
categories.

So I claim that creating a short QName notation that (sufficiently
formally and authoritatively) expands to "has 'subject' (per Dublin
Core) of 'sports' (per IPTC)" is solving precisely the problem that
they face. And if we were to make 'role' M-ary rather than unary,
this would flow neatly in there.

And even if we don't if fits nicely in 'property' even if each subject
category needs a separate 'property' declaration.

If you wanted to make it mnemonic, it could read

property="iptc:sportsSubject"

where the dc: is hidden because all IPTC subject literals are
designed and documented to conform to the Dublin Core notion of
'subject.'

... or depending on the range of tokens in the IPTC vocabulary,
it could be flattened to

property="iptc:sports"

... because 'sports' was diagnostic as to what DC field was being
populated.

The downside to the latter form is that one *has to* process the
namespace document(s) to formally know that you know a value of
dc:subject when you know the property iptc:sports.

But that's always going to be a tradeoff. Local domains use
local-code names for things that are expressions in the world at
large.

Personally, I think the HTML WG made a mistake in failing to solve
the 'role' requirement with QNames in 'class.'

We are never going to get the preponderance of the Web to be
accessible content until we train people to use semantic 'class'
tokens and style selectors.  Not 1:1 class tokens and style rules.

http://tantek.com/log/2004/07.html#classmeaningnotshow

So since we have to fight that war to reclaim 'class' anyway,
why not use it for what it's for?

class="... iptc:sports ... " is the direct solution to Misha's problem.

Al