Re: Access Element is WRONG (was RE: Are we really still talking about Access Keys?)

For the record, XForms' treatment of accesskey should not be viewed as
any kind of a precedent.

The normative part states "a host language must provide a way to
indicate overall navigation order among form controls and other elements
included in the host language, as well as keyboard or direct access
navigation to specific elements. One such proposal is to uses a pair of
attributes named |navindex| and |accesskey|, defined as follows:"

The actual definitions are taken roughly from older specifications. My
understanding is that things were specified this way specifically
because of the inadequacy of navindex/accesskey, and to not forclose the
development of better techniques in host languages.

No comments on the rest of the message. Thanks,

.micah

Al Gilman wrote:

> The precedent is set in the XForms specification.
>
> <quote>
>
> accesskey
>
> Optional attribute defines a shortcut for moving the input focus
> directly to a particular form control . The value of this is a
> single character which when pressed together with a platform specific
> modifier key (e.g., the alt key) results in the focus being set
> to this form control .
>
> The user agent must provide a means of identifying the accesskeys
> that can be used in a presentation. This may be accomplished in
> different ways by different implementations, for example through
> direct interaction with the application or via the user's
> guide. The accesskey requested by the author might not be made
> available by the player (for example it may not exist on the
> device used, or it may be used by the player itself). Therefore
> the user agent should make the specified key available, but may
> map the accesskey to a different interaction behavior.
>
> </quote>
>
> found by string searching 'accesskey' in:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/index-all.html

  Available for consulting. XForms, web forms, information overload.
  Micah Dubinko                           mailto:micah@dubinko.info
  Brain Attic, L.L.C.                        http://brainattic.info
  Yahoo IM: mdubinko                                +1 623 298 5172
  Learn XForms today: http://xformsinstitute.com