Re: ol, ul, nl, dl, oh my! (was Re: [XHTML 2] removal of navigation list element)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 07:52:56 +0000 (UTC)
To: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Cc: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, www-html@w3.org

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Shane McCarron wrote:

> Remember that, to some extent, there is a large user base that we need
> to take care of here. We don't want to start changing the names of
> commonly used elements or attributes without some compelling reason.

You've changed the full names of _every_ element already. There is not a
single element in XHTML2 that has the same full name as an element in
XHTML1. Not a single document from the "large user base" will work
unchanged, not a single element in XHTML2 is "commonly used". So I don't
really understand the argument here, from a technical perspective.