Header taglines (was: Attribute level for h element?)

If I were doing that in HTML  I'd probably do it as:
<h1>WidgetCo Inc. Posts Record Profits in 3Q 1999<br>
<small>Industry Leader Credits Hard Work, Determination,
Licensing Fees as Keys to its Success</small></h1>

The closest  XHTML2 equivalent at present would be:
<l class="tagline">Industry Leader Credits Hard Work, Determination,
Licensing Fees as Keys to its Success</l></h>

It does seem to argue for the addition of some element that could
serve to differentiate between the core part of a header and a tagline.