Re: [XHTML 2.0] Attribute level for h element?

On Jul 18, 2005, at 23:17, Kelly Miller wrote:

> I was just thinking to myself, since the h element is supposed to
> represent a header, shouldn't it be possible to have multiple h
> elements in a section?  After all, sections can have a header, a
> subheader, a sub-subheader, and so on, and these headers may not
> have their own section elements.  So the question is, wouldn't it
> be semantically better to have the h element have an attribute that
> represents what level a header is (main header, subheader, sub-
> subheader, etc.), and allow multiple h elements in a section?

Hum.  But I don't think that they should be seperate.  Instead, the
main header is actually a part of the larger header (including the
subheader) which is a larger part of the sub-subheader.  To illustrate:

<section>
     <h>
         <subheader>
             <mainheader>Eating Grass</mainheader>: The time of your
life
         </subheader>
         <subheader>
             By Bison
         </subheader>
     </h>

In this case, a table of contents may only want to include the parts
of the header that are most important, in this case, "Eating Grass",
but the whole thing is actually the header.  Maybe the best way to
mark this up would be for headers to simply be allowed to contain
other headers

--
Devin Bayer