Re: Draft suggestion: "normal" needed

Laurens, thanks for getting this onto the list.

Let's look at the example.

>>/A good example is needed,/ he thought.

To me, this is not best cast as application for <em>.  I would say a better
semantic --> presentation encoding of this rhetorical episode would be

In the default visual presentation, this could be allocated an italic
text-effect
with a selector keyed to both the element type and [at least one of]
the class marks.

In Braille, I don't know for sure, but I do know that they have
different tranliterations
for italics based on the reason for the italics.  Some are retained
and some are
suppressed.  This example might be mapped to quotes by a Braille-literate
human transcriber.  [I speculate.]

A TTY interface lacking italic font would use quotes before and after, and the
reader would find this entirely appropriate and natural, not sense any semantic
incongruity.

A TTS stylesheet would probably preserve the same voice but diminish
the speech rate and the pitch range or modulation index.

The latter explains why <em> is a bad model for "a semantic
replacement for <i>." Phrases are set off with quotes or italics any
time that there is some sort of difference in the rhetorical
world-graph: quotes, asides, idioms, etc. Quotes and italics are used
very broadly to set something off from its background. But the intent
is as often recessive as protrusive. So "replace <i> with <em>" is a
semantically broken rule and has caused people to use <em> visually
as a euphemism for <i> without regard for emphasis connotations.

The use of 'class' need not be un-semantic.  What it takes is some form of
publishing interpretation guides for the classes that your are using,
preferably
in a way that is accessible to the Semantic Web.

It should be understood that <em> as it is currently understood is a
binary flag
and that nested <em> elements can be styled differently, but most browsers
and authors wouldn't know what to do with them.

For this example I claim that <q> is a semantic fit for mental asides within
an overt dialog with 'class' being used to indicate that the language fragment
is unvoiced, only perceivable by the uttering persona in the dramatic setting
(or dialog world-model).

But beyond that, the misfit between <em> and <strong> and the many articulable
uses of intalics and quotes in classical typographical style leaves us with a
challenge.  We need a <change> semantic and the best we have in general
in HTML is to use <span> with changing 'class' attributes that are as semantic
as we can make them so that stylists in different delivery contexts [writing
these stylesheets without access to the original content-text author] will
have a reasonable shot at defining appropriate presentation in the
new situation.

The existing <em> and <q> etc. elements do fit some of these cases, and
should be used where they fit.  But this example is a <q> and not an <em>
and not all the rhetorical modulations that get styled with italics and quotes
fit an existing element.

I realize that trying to come up with a natural-langauge-neutral rhetorical
interlingua will result in culture wars.  On the other hand, I am sure that
the Computational  Linguists are far ahead of us on this in their underlying
models for the production of prosody.

Mike,

'normal' is here a presentation effect.  Your semantics for something
to be set off within an italicized or othewise set-off span is something
like

</different></context>

"revert to normal presentation" is just in this case a presentation effect to
convey the "yet different" or innner 'different' semantics when you have
run out of stylistically appropriate alternatiives for modulation.  In voice
production you would probably not have run out of presentation aspects
to tweak.

So the real problem is nested <different> sections.  Since you *can*
write context-aware selectors, this is not a fundamental problem.

You are left with an authoring challenge to cast the rhetorical rationale
for why this section is different, why it is to be distinguished in the
presentation.  Don't call that 'normal' when it is "yet different."

But I am with you in resisting casting this example to <em>.  It would be
nice to reserve <em> for cases that should be afforded a protruding or
attention-grabbing presentation variation, as opposed to a recessive one.

I would find it hard to lay down a hard and fast rule for when to use
<em class="rationale"> vs. <span class="rationale"> among the various
rhetorical uses of some sort of <different> indication.

But here the actual rhetorical situation of an unspoken aside, a musing,
is a good-enough match to <q> and a less-good match to <em> IMHO.

Al