Re: code and blockcode

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:48:48 +0200
To: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

Christophe Strobbe wrote:

> Line numbering does make sense for poetry, even in poems where
> whitespace matters. It is common practice in literature textbooks. Any
> academic edition of plays by Shakespeare (and near-cotemporaries) also
> uses line numbering. However, in such textbooks and editions, only
> every fifth or tenth line gets a number.
> Moreover, when quoting a literary text, you woulnd't use blockcode but
> blockquote. For poems where whitespace matters, I find blockquote
> (with CSS white-space:pre) preferable to the pre element.

Who says that it must be a quote? Are you saying I can’t make original
poems myself?

Anyways, I wouldn’t want line numbering for poems, but I would want it
for code. So that is a case where I want to distinguish code from other
preformatted content, which is what I meant to illustrate.

As another example, consider ASCII art. It is definitely preformatted.
It definitely isn’t code, and definitely shouldn’t have numbered lines.
(And I’d say the chance of encountering both code blocks and ASCII art
on the same website is much higher too ;).)

~Grauw