Re: longcode and longquote instead of blockcode and blockquote

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:20:48 +0200
To: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

Orion Adrian wrote:

>Is there any reason <code> doesn't assume preformatting? I've never
>seen code that doesn't require preformatting to be readable.

It is used inline code and not for code examples as a whole. I have
never had the need to preserve spaces, and I use <code> *a lot*.
Preserving spaces and newlines is used for the purpose of indenting and
formatting code to be more readable, and those arguments do not apply to
inline content.

Preformatting on <code> would actually be very bothersome (it already is
in <pre>) because I can’t let my XML editor automatically format
preformatted items. It is relatively easy to skip pre blocks, but not
being able to format entire paragraphs for fear it e.g. inserts line
breaks inside <code> elements... No please :).

By the way, it is only a default - you can always change the behavior
with CSS, if you so desire.

~Grauw