Re: XHTML 2.0 - dfn : Content model and usability

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:29:42 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org

Laurens Holst:
> Also, inline markup is typically rendered differently than block markup,

That is not enough reason for different element types for the same type
of information, though, because context-sensitive styling is possible.

   quote
     {display: inline; font-style: italic;}
   body>quote, div>quote, section>quote
     {display: block; margin-left: 2em;}

Well, this does not work that well with XHTML2's overly large content
model for 'p', for it now can contain both, block and inline style
quotes. If I remember the WD for CSS3 Box correctly, it has a way to
specify what kind of children (inline, block ...) a box expects.

Infact, with contextual styling (and semantics) in mind we could get rid
of a lot of element types, e.g. 'title', 'label', 'h' and 'th', or 'dfn'
and 'dt' (to stay on the Subject a bit) would be one.

Another, very ugly way of differentiating between block and inline,
where needed, would be the generic element types 'div' and 'span', so
would replace "<q/>" (or "<quote/>").
You say that is presentational? Is "block" in the element names not?