Re: XHTML 2.0 - dfn : Content model and usability

Karl Dubost schreef:
> Without the span here, it's impossible for an agent to extract the
> definition and make a glossary. The user, for sure, could have the
> choice to do what I have just done, add span in the text. But that
> would be with a random definition of the class name or the way to do  it.

<dfn> exists for two reasons: Index generation (overview of keywords,
and page number), and typographic purposes, to indicate a word is a term
which is newly introduced and explained. It is one of the more useful
text markup elements of HTML.

Something to actually mark up the explanation of the definition would be
somewhat nice, but it would be less useful and more bothersome to write,
as it is difficult to determine where an explanation starts, and such an
explanation can span multiple paragraphs (kinda like q vs. blockquote).

Especially because it takes the text out of context, I don’t think
making glossaries based on this is a good idea, nor very useful.

~Grauw