Re: Suggestion: 'rel="unrelated"

Trejkaz wrote:
> On Sunday 23 January 2005 12:11, you wrote:
>
>>Trejkaz wrote:
>>
>>>The web server _knows_ that it's Googlebot requesting the
>>>page. Couldn't the web application simply omit the entire comment
>>>section?
>>
>>You, like Google, seem to be forgetting that a lot of legitimate and
>>valuable discussion takes place within blog comments.  Marking comments
>>off in a way that tells a search engine to ignore the content or
>>omitting them entirely is essentially denying their existence.
>
> RTFA.  It does not involve ignoring the contents of the comment.

If, by "it", you're referring to the Google's nofollow relationship then
you are correct.  However, I was referring to your suggestion:

   "Couldn't the web application simply omit the entire comment section?"

That is effectively the same as instructing a search engine to ignore an
entire section, such as the contents of a comment, which would deny the
ability to search within them.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/