Folksonomies (was rel="nofollow")

From: Micah Dubinko <micah@dubinko.info>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:16:51 -0700
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
CC: www-html@w3.org

I just finished reading David Allen's _Getting Things Done_. Highly
recommended. In it he suggests that discussions ought to end up with a
concrete "next action".

There's three different topics here: 1) the markup proposal, 2) how
blogging tools use (or abuse) it, and 3) how search engines use (or
abuse) it. What are the next actions?

#2 and #3 are basically off-topic here, so I won't address them, other
than to point out that these guys will keep on working to improve things.

For #1, perhaps folks that think the name isn't helpful could go back to
the folks behind the propsal and suggest a better name than rel="nofollow"

I consider nofollow only part of a bigger movement commonly called
'folksonomies' [1]. A surge in popularity of the 'rel' attribute is good
news for metadata fans.  [My prediction is that the next "big thing"
people start noticing is that rel can take multiple, space-separated
values.]

Anyway, what's the next actions for folksonomies? I think the HTML WG
should take a careful look at what's out there (and under development),
why these are proving so popular with users, and how XHTML can help make
things even better.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folksonomy

--
  Available for consulting. XForms, web forms, information overload.
  Micah Dubinko                           mailto:micah@dubinko.info