Re: rel="nofollow" attribute (PR#7676)

Mark Birbeck wrote:

 > In the first instance -- in relation to the current proposal from
Google --
 > why do we need to mark-up the tag at all? The issue is very specifically
 > that Google does not want to follow the links in blogs, and it also
does not
 > want to give a higher page ranking to any pages referenced from those
blogs.

The very specific issue is that Google's (and other search engines')
following of links in blogs has created a situation in which spammers
are rewarded for posting unrelated and (in many cases) offensive content
on blogs.  This is not a problem for Google, it's a problem for
everybody else.  Comment spam -- at least the kind that I keep getting
hit with -- isn't likely to pollute search results for anything other
than the keywords its targeting, which, frankly, are a small set.  The
larger nuisance is to the rest of us, who have to put up with it
appearing on our sites.

 > 2. Faced with this secondary problem they *could* have said "why not add
 >    some metadata to the head of the document to indicate that it is a
blog,
 >    and then make our crawler behave accordingly".

Because just knowing its a blog doesn't solve the problem.  You WANT
search engines to follow most links on a blog, that's the POINT.  Even
on a comments page, you're likely to have a few dozen blogroll links
that you want followed.  This designation needs to be made on a
link-by-link basis, or as mentioned before, on a container basis, but
that's probably even worse.

 > 3. Or they could have changed their blogging software so that any
comments
 >    that are posted that contain links have to be approved by the blog
 >    owner.

That's great, but that just works for THEIR software.  That Google owns
Blogger is only a minor point; it's their search engine that has created
this problem.

----  Nick