Re: Validating extended XHTML

From: Edward Lass <elass@goer.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:51:27 -0500
To: <www-html@w3.org>

Here's another theory: They don't care.

Not everyone is interested in making order out of chaos simply for the
sake of making order out of chaos.

I'm sitting here in downtown Albany, NY USA and I have no idea what my
geographic coordinates are. Frankly, I also see no reason why I should
bother to find out, let alone remember.

But I can tell you my ZIP code. It's 12223. That's how I get mail.
Works well.

-- Ed.

>>> Jan Egil Kristiansen <janegil@landsbank.fo> 1/14/2005 10:34:54 AM

Google ignores semantic markup. The pair that did handle geographic
data, http://geourl.org/ and http://geotags.com/, are more or less dead.
So what do we do? Sit down and cry? I suspect Google's ignoring metadata
is rational:
http://www.virtuelvis.com/archives/2004/12/2004-prediction-results#cid1029

Jan Egil