Re: Marking elements as 'volatile'

At Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 04:57:37PM +0000, Denis Defreyne wrote:
> I believe it would be useful to be able to mark dynamic, ever-evolving
> elements in an XHTML document as 'volatile'. Volatile elements would be
> ignored while checking whether a page is updated or not.
>
> Some example elements that should be marked volatile:
> 	- statistics (number of visitors, users online)
> 	- list of referrers
> 	- shoutboxes (assuming they're no longer put in those annoying
> 	iframes)
> 	- ...
>
> I see two ways of accomplishing this. First way would be enclosing it
> in a <volatile> tag. Second way is having a volatile="volatile"
> argument.

Or better yet, the exact opposite.  Some attribute or metadata property which tags
the part of the document which is the real content.

The majority of web sites out there look like this:

    header + sidebar + content + sidebar + footer

Google only needs the content, so it would be cheaper to simply tag the bit which
you _do_ want indexed.

Perhaps a known metadata property using the "property" attribute would be enough
here.  Or perhaps it really does deserve its own attribute.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz@xaoza.net>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/trejkaz/