Re: Suggestion for <SECTION> tag

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:32:42 +0000 (GMT), David Woolley
<david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Or OBJECT. (Since I do not think it is about including XML fragments, is
> > it?)
>
> object was my thought as well.  It's possibly a particular presentational
> variation of object, as the more useful variant is to allow one to scroll
> the whole referenced document, and just position at the start of the
> fragment.
>
> Also, if I remember correctly, one can have an id attribute on any
> element and can use any id attributed element as a target of an anchor,
> so there is no need for a new element, just an alternative interpretation
> for fragment references to non-empty elements.
>

> > > In Adeel's use case, however, there are some security and intellectual
> > > property concerns.  Client-side embedding of fragments from different
> > > sites could make life a little too easy for phishers.
>
> I see intellectual property as a severe constraint.  When this sort of thing
> has come up before, it has been called "transclusion" and has been proposed
> by people who clearly totally rejected the concept of copyright.
>
> Also, if a section of a document really stands alone, my interpretation of
> the original web concept is that it ought to be a page in its own right.
> Even with the modern web, serving a whole page for a short extract wastes
> bandwidth.

Transclution for me has always been about maintaining websites and
less about stealing content. Currently scripting and XSLT are used
often to build these sorts of things but it seems to be to be
overkill. I am looking for something that accomplishes the same thing
as server side includes without requiring special programming on the
server.

Orion Adrian