Re: Suggestion/Enchantment: Canvas operations in HTML - resizable HTML

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 02:21:55PM +0000, fowlertrainer@anonym.hu wrote:

> HTML files are optimized to one size. 800/600, or 1024/768.

Sometimes, although modern HTML leaves all the presentation to
CSS. http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

> The pictures are sized to same pixel ratio.

Bitmap images are usually not scaled to a different ratio since the
output is of generally low quality. The only thing limiting the use of
vector graphics is browser support.

> But I think, that some Windows MetaFile - like operations are missing
> from HTML.

Windows MetaFile is a format for storing graphics in, IIRC, mixed
vector and bitmap form. HTML is a means for describing the semantics
and relationships of documents (which generally consist for the most
page of text).

> <viewport width=100px height=100px canresize=True>
> <line x1=10 y1=10 x2=50 y2=50>
> <box pos="10,10,20,20" fillcolor="red" fillstyle="thincross_left">
> <text pos="80,80" text="Test" font="arial" size="8">
> </viewport>
>
> <viewport initwidth=100px initheight=100px canresize=True>
> <line x1=20% y1=20% x2=50% y2=50%>
> </viewport>

That looks pretty nasty, and is outside the scope of HTML
anyway. Presentation is in the realm of CSS.

> If HTML is extended by this, the pictures (diagrams, etc.) are maked
> resizable !

They already can be, either relative to the font size (with em units),
the containing element (with percentage units), or in response to user
actions (and as that is logic rather then presentation, it falls out
of the realm of CSS and into that of JavaScript).

> Because many-many program, and other documents are stored in HTML
> format, every need images.
> But images are not resizable without data loss (or add). Only
> metafile-like things are resizable.

As I mentioned previously, the only thing holding back on vector and
mixed vector/bitmap graphics is browser support.