Re: Browser Version Vs. HTML version

From: Edward Lass <elass@goer.state.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:27:15 -0500
To: <www-html@w3.org>

Oh, if only it were so simple! No, the browser manufacturers like to
make our lives difficult. HTML 4.01 is a mature spec, it's fairly widely
supported on 5+ versions for IE and Netscape. (Obviously Firefox and
Safari have great support from the beginning, and I'm not as familiar
with Opera version numbers but they've historically been better than the
others.) But as the older browsers implemented the spec, the engines
tended to cherry-pick from it.

The bigger problem these days is with CSS, mainly on IE. It's the same
problem: Cherry-picking from the spec. I want max-width!!

* Ed.

>>> "Meharwade, Raghavendra" <meharwar@anz.com> 2/3/2005 12:29:46 AM

Hi All,

Do we have a chart which compares browser version and HTML version.

For example...(just example not actual result)

Netscape 7.2	Supports HTML 4.0 version
Netscape 4.0     Supports HTML 3.0 version
IE 5.0		Supports HTML 3.0 version
IE 6.0		Supports HTML 4.1 version.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,