Re: HTML Improvement/Suggestion

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:05:58PM +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> >> I'm not sure how tags can ever be implied in XHTML.

> >They can't. That is the main difference between HTML and XHTML. The
> >point is that XHTML does not create a better defined parse tree
> >because of this.

> It does. When I use some random element in XHTML I know what the
> tree will look like. In HTML you don't really know that.

The DOM is equally well defined in HTML as XHTML as the rules for
implying tags are well defined.

The _author_ might not know, but that problem can be fixed (either
through education, or software that tells them) and has no bearing on
the state of the DOM tree.

> HTML was also build with the assumption that documents would be
> valid...

XHTML even more so (since the rules for non-well formedness are rather
stricter).