Re: <spoiler> element

Jeremy,

I find it tempting to add the suggested <spoiler> to XHTML 2. I agree
that its use of "show this content only when activated by the user" is
generic enough to be handled by a XHTML element. I agree that the  CSS
+scripting solution is by far not good enough. And I have to say that
@role is not a solution at all:
It might offer a way to tell what the 'spoiler' is. But it is not a way
for an author to clearly tell a browser how to act on the element marked
@role="x:spoiler", given that scripting/CSS might not work as intended
on the UA that renders the page (custom style sheets, no scripting etc).

I have to say, though, that HTML always offered the very generic "show
this content only when activated by the user"-element:
here only if you want to read which element it is.</a>

This is as generic as can be - and as specific as we can allow,
probably. It is not the sophisticated "show within the current
page"-solution you want. It does not fully cover all use cases:
Disturbing medical photos within a scientific text should probably be
shown right within the paragraph that describes them, not on a separate
page. But that would be <show-disturbing-medical-pictures>, not just
<spoiler> ;-)

Regards,
Oskar