Re: Flexible table/grid

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@tigerstaden.no>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 10:35:08 +0100
To: Markus Jonsson <carnaby@passagen.se>, www-html@w3.org

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:35:29 +0100, Markus Jonsson <carnaby@passagen.se>
wrote:

> Shouldn't there be a Grid element, similar to the GtkIconView of the
> GTK+ toolkit?

No.

> Unlike a TABLE, you wouldn't have to specify rows and columns. The
> number of cols/rows would be rearranged automatically due to the
> measures of the container.

This is very easy to accomplish with some simple CSS and that is the
intended way to solve such problems. Design- and presentation-related
things like this has nothing to do with HTML.

What you would do in CSS is typically float ('float: left') elements with
specified height and width inside a container. When the container's width
increases, more elements will fit on the same line (or "row") and would
give a fluid look, almost like GtkIconView.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg     -=|=-    http://virtuelvis.com/quark/