Re: XHTML2: Proposal for total separation of semantics from structure

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:41:22 +0200
To: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
CC: www-html@w3.org

Orion Adrian schreef:
>>> I disagree, for element names should carry the main semantics, and
>>> prefer myself something like this:
>>>   <"some parent with only block children allowed">
>>>     <code class="pre"/>
>>>   </>
>> I disagree with that, class doesn't convey any semantic information, and
>> if the code being preformatted is important to the clarity or even
>> functioning of the code, it should use <pre> appropriately and not rely
>> on the stylesheet.
> Why doesn't class convey semantic information?
Because it doesn’t, per specification. Quoting:

   The class attribute has several roles in HTML:
       * As a style sheet selector (when an author wishes to assign
style information to a set of elements).
       * For general purpose processing by user agents.

> Why aren't we styling
> elements based on their semantic classification as opposed to string
> that people just make up like "l76blue". I'd rather limit class to
> semantic structures and just style those.
But that is not the case right now, in HTML 4, and existing content will
contain nonsensical information in their class attributes, which makes
them useless to process. A set of values for the class attribute could
be standardised, but because there’s so much ‘noise’, it can’t be relied
upon, which makes it quite unreliable and useless from a machine
processing point of view (which is why they are added in the first place).

I’d say that is the reason new attributes such as @role and @property
are needed. Those can make a fresh start, and because they are only
specified when they actually have semantic meaning, a user agent
(including search engines) can do something with it...