Re: 1 webpage != 1 document

From: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:39:01 -0400
To: Bronwyn Boltwood <arndis@gmail.com>, www-html@w3.org, "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud@pobox.com>

At 7:53 PM -0400 8/15/05, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
>Does anyone else agree that the "1 webpage = 1 document" idea is flawed?

Some related discussion:

One of the uses that motivated the inclusion of a 'role' attribute in XHTML 2.0
has been the designation of page-part roles such as "site navigation" or
"main content."

The Protocols and Formats Working Group working with the HTML Working
Group are very interested in getting the community to agree to use
some set of page-part notions in some reasonable way so that the
lumpy structure of web pages can be shared between authors and
adaptation tools.

The Device Independence Working Group also has been deconstructing the
idea of the web page as a monolithic resource.

Also Google the following search string
   site:lists.w3.org Al Gilman pageAsView
... for some more, earlier rants