Re: tag for notion and compound indication

From: Devin Bayer <devin.bayer@rochester.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 08:48:50 -0700
To: Simon Siemens <Simon.Siemens@web.de>
Cc: XHTML-Liste <www-html@w3.org>

On Aug 5, 2005, at 1:15, Simon Siemens wrote:

> However what has not been addressed by HTML up to
> now are compound words. I suppose, this is because English does not
> have
> them to a relevant extend. But German e.g. has many compound words
> (like
> "Bundesregierung": "Bund" + "Regierung"). Thus an ability to indicate
> such compositions could really enhance search engine results from a
> German point of view.

Why not use the the word joiner (2060) character? Excerpted from
Unicode:

Word Joiner behaves like &nbsp; in that it indicates the absence of
word boundaries; however, the word joiner has no width. For example,
the word joiner can be inserted after the fourth character in the
text “base+delta” to indicate that there should be no line break
between the “e” and the “+”. The word joiner should be ignored in
contexts other than word or line breaking.

- Devin Bayer