Re: why, e.g., input/@checked="checked" ?

On Wednesday 30 Mar 2005 19:37, Barry wrote:
> The checked="checked" thing bothers me too. It's sloppy, and I don't care
> what wasn't considered in advance. It seems easy to fix. If any of the
> arguments to the contrary are valid, they went over my head, or maybe I
> didn't read them carefully enough.

We also find it extremely annoying.

I read the arguments. I agree on the importance of historical origins, but we
are not talking about an ancient painting. These languages are only an agreed
standard of communication.

They have, XTHML has, above all, the scope to work seamlessly, in my opinion.
The  checked="checked" behaviour, together with the select="selected"
behaviour, does not allow it to work seamlessly. It is not at all a  specific
problem with templating engines. It is  foremostly a problem with logic. The
behaviour is not very logical, in my opinion.

Even from a technological point of view, it is not only a problem of
templating engines. It is a problem for people who code as well. You have to
introduce special subroutines for generating the proper code, with higher
probability of error, which induces higher risk of non compliancy.
Furthermore, there is performance reduction, which affects not only the
single application but the net as a whole. Finally, the code you have to
write is clumsy, ineffective, largely spoiling the (potential) elegance of
XHTML.

It seems easy to fix.

--
symbulos partners