Re: Tag / element question

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 dwitchell@sportcraftcars.com wrote:
>>My question is "Why is there a th (table header) tag / element but not
>>a tf (table footer)?"

I really don't see any point to it.  The only place it would make any
sense is within a tfoot element, thus td has enough semantics already,
when used within a tfoot.

> Probably because there's the <tfoot> element. But I guess the hard
> question is what <tfoot> really means. Can anyone describe that in terms
> of structural and semantic relationships, without implying a visual
> rendering or any "below" relation, and without using a word like "footer"
> without definition?

It’s just for containing information that is relevant to all the data in
the table.  It's often used for totals of numerical data.

While we're on the subject of tfoot, is there a reason why tfoot must
appear before tbody?  I know some people that don't realise, and just write:
     <thead/>
     <tbody/>
     <tfoot/>

It does seem logical, even though it's wrong, but I've been unable to
explain why it's wrong, other than it's how the DTD specifies it.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://www.lachy.id.au/