Re: select control element requires option element

At Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 12:40:01AM +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, John Russell wrote:
> >
> > It is clearly stated in html4.01 rec that at least one
> > option element is required in a select element...
> >
> > However these days option elements can be added dynamically
> > thru scripts.  What if one wanted to create a blank list whose
> > elements were to be added later as in my example at
> >
> > http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3ll/jstutor4.htm#dy
> >
> > This page will not verify using the current spec.  Should your
> > recommendations limit the use of dynamic scripting ???
>
> Note that the Web Forms 2.0 proposal addresses this by allowing empty
> <select> elements:
>
>    http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#changes

Not to mention, HTML-style forms are going out of fashion in the next XHTML anyway. :-)

TX

--
'Every sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic' - Arthur C Clarke
'Every sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology' - Tom Graves

             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz@xaoza.net>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/trejkaz/
         Jabber ID: trejkaz@jabber.xaoza.net