Re: RFC: XHTML Report Extension

> Syntax:
> ~
> The <ref cite="w3paper">W3 paper</ref> says that &lt;cite> is a formatting
> tag.  <ref cite="w3paper" /> also says that &lt;em> is a formatting tag.
>
> <rl>
>  <li name="w3paper" uri="http://w3.com/paper.txt">
>  W3 Paper on xhtml
>  </li>
> </rl>
> ~

I believe the current XHTML 2.0 WD[1] caters for your proposal, in a more generalised fashion perhaps.  I believe the following to be equivalent

<nl>
 <label>References</label>
  <li id="w3paper" href="http://w3.com/paper.txt">W3 Paper on xhtml</li>
</nl>

As you can see, the elements used are slightly more general.

> The Web browser would not be able to render the <ref> tag properly until the
> <rl> list was fully or partially parsed.  Web browsers currently adjust the
> page layout as images are loaded, sometimes having to find out if an image
> exists and either insert or remove the "alt" text; so the issue of having to
> alter the rendered output after the page is loaded is not a new consideration,
> and thus is not a problem.

.

I feel your needs are already catered for, and thus implementation would merely lead to duplication and clutter in a language which in my opinion should stay as minimalistic as possible.

[1] XHMTL 2.0 WD -  http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/
 <nl> - http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-list.html#edef_list_nl
 <label> - http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-list.html#sec_11.5.
 hypertext/linking - http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-hypertext.html#s_hypertextmodule