RE: [newsml] Labels

Paul Harman wrote:

> > Re the content approach, our main use of markup is in (1) the
> > headline (by which I mean the headline that is outside the content,
> > not a headline embedded in textual content) and (2) in a newsline
> > that explains why a correction has been issued and what the changes
> > are.  Both of these need to be outside the content.
>
> Regarding 2, I see what you mean: being able to mark up the
> changes in an
> editorial notes field could be very useful. I think that's a
> generic enough
> requirement though to be pushed out of Newslines and into some other
> (arguably more appropriate) area, though... ISTR NewsMLv1 having a
> "Comments" field precisely for this type of information.

Ah ... I didn't mean markup of changes.  I meant an explanation,
eg "Karl Marx is on the left of the photo, not the right" and so on,
with line- or para-breaks to separate out logical chunks of info.

> > There is also the question of the byline: We haven't decided how to
> > handle it, but want to show email and IM addresses.  Both of these
> > should use markup.  Now one way of doing this is to refer from the
> > byline to a Person topic-item (once we have such things), but that
> > reference itself requires markup.
>
> This comes back to something I was thinking about earlier and
> perhaps failed
> to adequately convey. Perhaps the <byline> element could
> carry an idref,
> referring to the Duid (or similar) of a <person> element in the
> AdministrativeMetadata...? But that wouldn't work very well
> for items with
> multiple authors... :*(

I went through the same thought process.

> 	Paul

Misha Wolf
Standards Manager
Product and Platform Architecture Group