Re: Identifying (X)HTML without MIME

From: Dmitry Beransky <dberansky@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:16:24 +0000
To: www-html@w3.org

Ideally, you should rely on the underlying OS to tell you what the mime
type of a file is.  A Windows OS will use a file's extension and the
Registry to figure out the type; a linux/unix os may use the magic number
database; MacOS X may use the resource bundle.  How to ask the system for
this kind of info depends on the language you use.

Dmitry