Re: Concerns about the "l" element name <l>

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 18:55:39 +1100
To: trejkaz@xaoza.net
CC: HTML List <www-html@w3.org>

Trejkaz Xaoza wrote:
> Also, does <a/> really give any more meaning than <span/> these days?  Now
> that they both have the same attributes in XHTML 2.0, I'm surprised that <a/>
> is even still there. :-D

That's why the XHTML 2 draft states [1]

# An a element defines an anchor. Since hypertext attributes such as
# href may be applied to any element, this element is not strictly
# necessary, being equivalent to a span, but has been retained to allow
# the expression of explicit links.

I personally don't think that's a very good reason to keep it, but there
is little harm in doing so.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xhtml2-20040722/mod-hypertext.html
--
Lachlan Hunt