Re: Concerns about the "l" element name <l>

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@tigerstaden.no>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 07:27:08 +0100
To: "Antonio Gallardo" <antonio@apache.org>
Cc: "HTML List" <www-html@w3.org>

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:55:16 +0000, Antonio Gallardo <antonio@apache.org>
wrote:

> Long time ago in the University, the teachers told us that we need to
> avoid naming variables with names like: l, because in some fonts it is
> very close to: I or even 1.
>
> See a sample: <l>, <I>, <1> or even <|>.
>
> I think we need to define a better name in order to avoid people to waste
> time debugging this kind of errors.

I think this is a good point. I've never quite understood why HTML always
wanted to shorten stuff so incredibly; why can't <l> be <line>? Those six
extra letters (including the end tag) is not the end of the world when it
comes to markup size, especially if the markup is gzip'ed.

This is a good remark that imho should be taken into consideration. In
Courier New, the font I think is used by most development tools (at least
on Windows) the difference between l and 1 is only two pixels. That's not
much. For beginners, that difference might not be visible at all.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg         -=|=-        asbjornu@hotmail.com