Re: <NOBR> - Returning to the question....

From: Orion Adrian <oadrian@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:14:54 -0500
To: olafBuddenhagen@web.de, www-html@w3.org

> > However, regarding HTML, the question arises whether <nobr> should be
> > regarded as structural, at least when used for expressions like %7E,
> > which may _change meaning_ when broken into % and 7E.
>
>This should be handled by <code>, not by a <nobr>, which is purely
>presentational. In semantical markup, the question you need to ask
>yourself is always: *Why* do I not want this to be broken? Because it is
>code!

I agree with this completely. If there isn't semantic markup to represent an
object then there should be or rules for interpretting it. Remember all this
semantic markup is used to make our computers capable of the same activity
that humans are. So either we need to explicitly mark something up or create
an algorithm that does it.

>Generally, WHY is the key to semantical markup...
>
> > Or for expressions like -1.
>
>If Unicode linebreaking rules are any good (I do not know them), the
>problem is actually a different one: Nobody but professional typesetters
>do know and respect the five or so different types of dash-like
>characters, all fulfilling a different purpose, and all having a
>different character code in Unicode (I guess).
>
>However, once you actually start to consider the fact that -1 shouldn't
>be broken, you'll probably also consider the fact that minus is
>something different than a dash or a hyphen...

This I think is an editor issue. Perhaps the W3C should compile together a
set of rules that editors can conform to. One of the rules that they should
conform to is proper use of the various versions of -. I think browser
compliance will improve with editor compliance and vice versa. They tend to
be interlinked.

Orion Adrian