Correct comment placement

From: IrYoKu <thebreaker@terra.es>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:50:57 +0100
To: "www-html@w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>

Hi,

I am wondering about the correct placements of an html comment (<!--
this -->).
Especially if it is correct to place it before the doctype:

<!-- Hi there ^_^ -->

Because Internet Explorer seems to not take the doctype at all if you do
a comment placement like this.
I am putting the comments between the doctype ad the html tags, and I
would like to have know if this is correct.

I did some search with no luck, sorry if this is a dup.

Thanks a lot,
IrYoKu