Re: XML Events : Should modification of the node containing a script be allowed?

"Ernest Cline" <ernestcline@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I didn't find any such restriction in a quick perusal of the XML spec,
> but in the XHTML2 working draft Section 16.2.4. Dynamic modification
> of documents, it says:
>
> "the XML processing model, where a document is first parsed before
> being processed"

That's depressing, as it removes the ability to progressively render, (which
would make it impossible to author a compliant XHTML 2.0 renderer in an SVG
application - something which is otherwise possible in current SVG 1.2
drafts)  It's also something that I beleive is essential to the utility of a
human-centric document format.  I imagine it's an oversight, or an
oversimplification, rather than any deliberate attempt to limit XHTML
documents to being fully parsed.

> it doesn't say that scripts can't be processed before content is rendered,
> so since I didn't find anything about when scripts should be executed
> in a quick perusal of the SVG 1.1 standard, perhaps that is what is
> happening, i.e., that before the initial rendering is done any
> initialization scripts must be executed according to SVG.

This was the response to a request for clarification of the SVG spec.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2002Nov/0011.html

| SVGLoad events will be dispatched on individual elements within the
| file as these elements become fully parsed and ready to render. For
| example, with a <g>, the SVGLoad event on that <g> occurs once you
| have parsed the end element (</g>) and ready to progressively draw
| that <g>.

Jim.