From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:40:11 +0000 (UTC)
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, David Woolley wrote:
>> Specifications should define what UAs should do in _any_ scenario. The
>> CSS, XML, and SVG specs are quite well defined in that regard. The HTML
>> specs have traditionally been quite vague in that area.
> There is a perfectly valid case for specifications to leave things
> implemenation dependent

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. There are of course many aspects that
are out of scope of specifications, or that can, as you say, be define
quite abstractly. I was talking more about things like how to parse
invalid HTML, or how to handle many of HTML's attributes, neither of which
should be out of scope for HTML.