Re: [XHTML2] DESCRIPTION element (was: Re: [XHTML2] CITELANG, TITLELANG attributes)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> So instead of having a TITLE attribute a DESCRIPTION element would be
> needed? To not interfere with the "special" semantics of the TITLE element.

The TITLE element as currently defined is a bit special, and its semantics
clearly reflect some practical ideas on how it should affect the
environment where the document is rendered. But if a general-purpose TITLE
element would be introduced, then the good old TITLE element could be a
special case - the advisory title for the HEAD element, to be used by
default as the advisory title for the root element as well.

> I have actually thought about such a thing before, since I wanted to
> include ABBR in the title to mark up abbreviations. Obviously, that was
> impossible.

There are many kinds of inline markup that one might wish to use inside an
advisory title, or similar constructs (such as the SUMMARY attribute's
value). The ABBR element is

> The only problem would be that it can be a
> child of every element, even SEPARATOR I guess.

Oh, the current XHTML 2.0 draft seems to have the confused old HR element
under a longer name, with an even more confusing description of semantics.
Give me a break! :-) Anyway, the old HR element may have a TITLE
attribute, and there are conceivable uses for it - like including an
explanation of the nature of separation, e.g. TITLE="Some final notes
follow." If we think this is important (I don't, because SEPARATOR is just
confusing), then an element like SEPARATOR should simply be defined as
nonempty, with TITLE as the only allowed content if we find no use for any
other content.