Re: Query about applying styles to the <html> element.

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@iinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 20:11:04 +1100
To: "Gladman, Mark" <mark.gladman@thelearningfederation.edu.au>
CC: www-html@w3.org

Gladman, Mark wrote:
> is it valid to assign a style to the <html> element via an externalised
> CSS file?

Yes.  Styles can be applied to any element in HTML, XHTML and XML
documents using an external stylesheet.  If a selector matches any
element in the DOM, the styles will be applied, regardless of whether
the element allows the use of a style attribute.

You should also be aware that CSS is an entirely seperate language from
HTML, and that such a question is not appropriate for the HTML list.  I
suggest you try asking further questions an a CSS help forum, newsgroup
or mailing list.

> trying to get embedded objects using the <object> element to render
> correctly in Gecko-based browsers, but due to parent block-level width
> and height inheritence...

I suggest you try css-discuss or
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets on USENET to find out why
this is happening.  It helps if you provide a URL for the document so
that others may see what is happening, and offer a better solution.
--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/