Re: Validating extended XHTML

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:53:49 +0000
To: www-html@w3.org

"Anne van Kesteren" <fora@annevankesteren.nl> wrote in message
news:41B75612.7080709@annevankesteren.nl...

> Jan Egil Kristiansen wrote:
>> I'd like a DOCTYPE to make it possible to validate XHTML with well-formed
>> extensions from any other namespace.
>>
>> See http://styrheim.weblogg.no/081204103845_the_x_in_xhtml.html

That's not possible unless you write a DTD for the combination you want,
using the modularisation of XHTML, it's almost certainly too complicated.

> Why would you need this? When you are sending XHTML with the proper MIME
> type the browser can give you feedback.

Which browser contains a validating XML parser?

> Furthermore, I guess DTDs won't have much of a feature within XML.

DTD's are a perfectly reasonably feature of XML, certainly you'll need
things like NRL to be useful in mixed namespace systems, but they still have
their place.

Jim.