Difference between quotation and citation

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 06:41:37 -0400
To: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>
I noticed that for some readers the choice of english names can be
confusing for examples in French and maybe other languages. Therefore I
sent this clarification for someone off list, maybe it will benefit
other people here

*****
	A citation is not a quotation.

French           English
Citation   --->  Quotation
Source     --->  Citation

Let's stick with the english:

	Quotation is the prose extracted of a text that you want to insert in
your own text. We use the elements "blockquote" or "quote" for this.
	Citation is the reference giving the source of the quote: authors'
names, title, pages, volumes, etc. We the element "cite" for this.

I hope it's clearer.
*****

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***