Re: Display Properties of Elements

From: Sjoerd Visscher <sjoerd@w3future.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:51:14 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org

Orion Adrian wrote:
> I think there is something more important here that may have been missed.
>
> An structural element should really only have one classification;
> however, a structure may have multiple semantic classifications.
>
> Emphasis and Code can both be applied to a single set of code. While
> there currently aren't many semantic classifications in HTML there are
> many, many semantic classifications that text can take on and should
> take on.
>
> Remove all semantic elements from HTML and replace them with the ability
> to assign semantic classes (like stylistic classes as they go
> hand-in-hand) to any structural element.
>
> Then we end up with
>
> section, h, l, separator, p, span, div
>
> as our structure and if you want to specify a set of semantic classes
> you can, but you do so on each structural element.

+1 I had the same thoughts.
Something like <p class="code quote" cite="...">...</p> or maybe role
instead of class, or one of the new rdf meta attributes.

Your list of structure elements seems a bit too short though. Lists and
  tables should be in there too, right?

--
Sjoerd Visscher
http://w3future.com/weblog/