Re: [XHTML2] Embedding XML

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 07:10:38 +0200
To: Sjoerd Visscher <sjoerd@w3future.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

>> Correct. You can embed any other format you like using that module as
>> long as the browser supports the MIME type. In fact, you can already
>> do this in HTML 4.01 using the OBJECT element. To embed MathML for
>> example.
>
> Isn't there a difference? I.e. Edward probably wants to include document
> fragments, but straight embedding only supports complete documents.
> F.e. with including the style rules from the including document apply,
> with embedding they do not.

What was I thinking :-)

In that case I think XML Inclusions[1] might be useful. Although that
would only work if a user agent supports both XML Inclusions and XHTML.
(And mixing namespaces, obviously. But without support for that I don't
see a reason why a user agent would support XHTML in the first way.)

[1]<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-xinclude-20040413/>

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>