Re: object elements with inline data?

From: Ernest Cline <ernestcline@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:44:12 -0400
To: "Toby A Inkster" <tobyink@goddamn.co.uk>, "Robert Sayre" <mint@franklinmint.fm>, www-html@w3.org

From: Toby A Inkster <tobyink@goddamn.co.uk>
> On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 20:21, Robert Sayre wrote:
> > In HTML 4.01, there's a mechanism for including inline data in the data
> > attribute of the object element.
> > I've noticed that the example object tag in the latest XHTML2 draft has
> > dropped this practice[1]. What replacements, if any, are being
> > for this method?
> It is still allowed in XHTML2, but instead of being defined as part of
> the (X)HTML spec, XHTML 2 just says "use whatever URL you want".
>This includes "data:" URLs, which are defined in RFC 2397[1].
> Gecko (Mozilla, Netscape et al.) and Opera already support "data:"
> URLs.
> ________
> [1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2397.txt

But the example of how to do the inline data has changed
for this in HTML 4.01:
Here's an example that illustrates how inline data may be fed to an OBJECT:

<OBJECT id="clock1"
        data="data:application/x-oleobject;base64, ...base64 data...">
    A clock.

To this is the current XHTML2 draft:
Here's an example that illustrates how inline data may be fed to an object

    A clock.

Now maybe I'm missing something because of my unfamiliarity with Java,
but where is the inline data for the object in the XHTML2 example?
Is a clock the default Java applet; is it being triggered by the element's
id attribute;, or is there an error is the example?