<button> element

From: Richard Lewis <richard.lewis@uea.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 10:50:32 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

Hi there,

I've been trying to use the HTML <button> element with some PHP scripts like
this:

<form method="post" ...>
	<!-- content -->
	<button type="submit" name="submit" value="edit">Edit Item</button>
	<button type="submit" name="submit" value="del">Delete Item</button>
</form>

and I've been experiencing some problems.

When the form is submitted the receiving script can query the posted value of
'submit' and retrieve the value of the 'value' attribute of  whichever submit
button was pressed. This works fine in the case of such browsers as
Konqueror, Mozilla and Lynx. However, MSIE only returns the *content* of one
of the <button> elements (and always the same one, no matter which was used
to submit the form), not the 'value'.

Which browser is exhibiting the correct behaviour?

Cheers,
Richard